Monday, July 20, 2015

school year scripture themes




I posted this on my Instagram the other day, and had several people ask me for more detailed info on what exactly I and my family do with these scripture themes.  It's one of my favorite traditions, but it only started a couple years ago. 

A few weeks before school starts, I prayerfully choose a scripture that will become our theme for the school year.  I print up three copies: one to display in our kitchen, and one to tape up in each of the kids showers (where they can re-read it every time they're in there).  We have a special Family Home Evening about the scripture and talk about what it means and how we can use it in our lives at school, home, with friends, etc.  For example, the first year we did Matthew 5:16.  Throughout the year, we talked about how we can be a light to others by being a good example in various different ways.

Also throughout the school year, we will work on memorizing the scripture.  When my kids leave for school every morning, I remind them how they can be a light to others or how they can work on strengthening their foundation, or whatever the theme is about.  My goal is to teach my kids (as well as my husband and I) how to use these inspirational messages to better ourselves each and every day, and how to apply these words to our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment