Wednesday, November 25, 2015

How to spot the miracles in your life




I have been thinking a lot about miracles lately.  Miracles are big, some are small, and I think most might even go unnoticed.  Miracles can brighten your day, comfort your soul, and strengthen your faith.  And the best part is, there are already miracles in your life.  Here's how to spot them.

{Slow down.}

You are busy.  I am busy.  Everyone is busy.  Some people bask in the glorification of busy.  Technology, work, activities, competition - all these things can overwhelm your life.  Stop.  If even for a moment, just stop.  Two words that pierce my soul every time I hear or read them are as follows: Be Still.  I have these two words plastered around my workspace, my home, even my phone.  Be present.  Surround yourself with your family.  Surround yourself with the moments miracles are made of.

{Tender mercies.}

David A. Bednar said, "Tender mercies of the Lord are real and they do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence."  What is a tender mercy?  Bednar describes them as personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts.  Knowing that these tender mercies are sent to us personally is a miracle in itself.  See how many tender mercies you can recognize today!

{Seeing isn't believing.  Believing is seeing.}

I was recently watching a classic movie, Charlotte's Web, with my daughter, and one part really stood out to me.  Fern's mother asks the question, "Do you understand how there could be writing in a spider's web?"  And the doctor simply replies, "Oh no, I don't understand it.  But for that matter I don't understand how a spider learned to spin a web in the first place.  When the words appeared everyone said they were a miracle.  But nobody pointed out that the web itself is a miracle."

How many  miracles are already present in our lives, every day?  Miracles aren't just events like the parting of the red sea.  They include simple moments like a baby's first smile or the beauty of the earth.  More often than not, miracles should inspire gratitude, not awe.


{Be grateful.  Be prayerful.}

Speaking of gratitude, I believe this is an essential attribute in recognizing miracles.  This paired with prayer makes it almost impossible to not see the miracles that lubricate your life.  Say a prayer of gratitude.  You might be surprised at the miracles that are already there; ones that you just may not have noticed.  A prayer of gratitude is often the answer you need.

{Write it down.}

Many people have a gratitude journal, or something of the like.  Mine is called a tender mercy journal.  I don't write in it every day.  But when I'm feeling dis-connected or in extra need of God's love, I'll commit to writing down every tender mercy I see in a day, a week, or so on.  I find that when I'm purposely looking for them, they are more easily found.  And when they are written down, they are not easily forgotten.

Everyone experiences miracles.  They are already happening in your life, you just need to know how and where to look.  Instead of trying to over analyze everything, try recognizing those things as miracles.  Big or small, each one is significant and meant just for you.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post. I Have Been wondering about this issue, so thanks for posting. Pretty cool post.It 's really very nice and Useful post.Thanks what is a course in miracles

    ReplyDelete